Kuikka – the base camp
Kuikka is a former forest workers' residence situated in the municipality of Kuhmo, on the border with Russia. The base camp sits on a headland, surrounded by the Kuikka lake and boreal forest. The building is a traditional rural Finnish log house. The general atmosphere in Kuikka can be compared to that of a large family rather than to that of a hotel.
- running potable water
- w-lan and ethernet cable connection
- satellite TV
- digital projector
- copier and a printer
- sheets and towels
- two dryers for wet shoes and clothes, washing machine
- three toilets and four showers
- lakeside sauna with a wood-burning stove and a smoke sauna
- small souvenir shop
- camp-fire place
- 3 rowing boats, 1 canoe
- garden bird feeding place
- nest boxes
- large parking area for cars and camper vans
- breakfast buffet usually at 9 a.m.
- coffee, tea, and a small snack during the day
- dinner buffet table usually at 4 p.m.: three course meal with choices
- picnic/sandwiches for taking to the hides/on trips
NB: In the case of allergies or special diets, WSF must be informed at the time of booking.
There are 7 guest rooms with cabin bunks. Due to the origin of the house, there are no single or double rooms as such. There are 4 beds in every room. 8 in the largest. Often, friends and couples or families will live in one room. However, if you have any particular wishes regarding privacy, let us know.